Welcome Packet 2019-2020 Season
Welcome to the Arts in Action family! We are thrilled that you have chosen Arts in Action has your arts education facility this year. A dedicated staff and a highly-trained and a much-acclaimed faculty is ready to serve you in a wide variety of arts education programs. Our faculty teaches with dedication, purpose and loving hearts with a focus on developing excellence in technique and artistic expression with Christian influence. Comprehensive education available this year includes group classes in dance, clogging, art, and private lessons available in piano and voice. Continuing this season is our SuperStars program for children and adults with special needs. Whether your student is studying the arts as a possible career path, to reap the numerous benefits, or for recreational fun, Arts in Action is here to meet your needs.
At Arts in Action we are passionate about making a significant impact in the lives of students and the community through arts education! Through documented research and personal experience, we know the numerous benefits awaiting those who study the arts. Documented studies have proven that children involved in arts education OUT PERFORM "art poor" students in every area of their lives. Students who take four years of arts and music classes while in high school score 85 points better on their SATs than students who took only one-half year or less (scores of 1,063 vs. 978, respectively) and scored an average of 523 on the Writing portion of the test 52 points higher than students with only one-half year or less of arts/music classes. Source: The College Board, 2008. 2008 College-Bound Seniors: Total group Profile. That is significant! The arts bolster self-esteem, improve cognitive development, enable students to creatively express themselves and prepare students for the workplace to name a few. We are blessed to have the opportunity to enrich the lives of the students who study at Arts in Action.
The staff, faculty and board of directors of Arts in Action are excited about the upcoming year and look forward to serving you through the arts. We are available to answer your questions and help you in any way possible to make your experience at Arts in Action rewarding.
His servant and yours, Joni Cantrell, Founding Director
Cookie Samworth, Artistic Director
*Arts in Action has been awarded the designation of a West Virginia Promise Place and an America's Promise Place*
*Arts in Action was nominated and awarded the Red Wagon Award by
Governor Earl Ray Tomblin and First Lady Joanne Jaeger Tomblin for our work impacting the lives of children through the arts*
Arts in Action is a non-profit, 501 ( c ) ( 3 ) organization that provides professional and positive education and performance opportunities in the arts for all ages and abilities with a Christian influence. We encourage and equip residents of Putnam, Kanawha, Cabell, Mason and Lincoln counties regardless of race, religion, gender, and economic status, offering comprehensive arts education and programs taught and lead by a highly-skilled, qualified, and dedicated faculty and staff.
We envision within Arts in Action:
• No child or adult missing out on education in the arts because of economic restraints.
• Strengthened communities as a result of the artistic outreach programs with an encouraging message.
• Participants increasing in physical fitness, mental capabilities, and social skills, while they develop skills of excellence in the arts.
• Arts in Action recognized as a catalyst and model for effective and positive instruction in which the arts are displayed and portrayed with integrity and purpose.
• All people, those with a passion for the arts including low-income families and at-risk youth, deserving an opportunity for qualified arts education.
• Creativity and artistic expression developed in excellence.
• The innate desire and ability within all individuals for physical, emotional, and spiritual development and growth.
• Wonderful volunteers who so selflessly serve with dedication, purpose and a loving heart.
• An organization operating with integrity and skill.
• Combined efforts of civic and community organizations with private enterprises and other non-profit programs for the purpose of building strong relationships to impact our community
The company is for students who have a desire to offer their talents and gifts for the glory of the Lord through performance and ministry opportunities. Students and their families must be committed, dedicated and dependable. Students will be placed after auditions, based on age and skill level.
• Precious Movements-Ages 5-6
• Lambs of Light-Ages 7-9
• Joni's Girls-Ages 10-11
• Junior Company - Ages 12-13
• Senior Company - Ages 14-18
For more information or to audition, please contact Miss Cookie at email@example.com or call 304-419-4446.
SAFETY FIRST! The following guidelines are set with your child's safety in mind. A security lock is on the inside door that leads upstairs to Arts in Action. The security code is 3351* and may possibly be changed throughout the year. Please share this security code with adults who will be picking up your child ONLY. For safety precautions, we ask that each child be escorted by an adult to and from class. Students grades 3rd and under may not be "dropped off" at the door. Please wait with your child in the waiting room before the class starts and return a few minutes before class is scheduled to end to pick up your child. No students of any age can leave their classroom until they are picked up by a designated adult. No students, regardless of age can wait in the parking lot to be picked up. A parent or designated adult must escort the student from their classroom to their ride. Children grades 3rd and under cannot be left unsupervised at the studio at any time. You are invited to stay during your child's class in the waiting area. Siblings cannot be unsupervised at any time while in the studio and cannot be dropped off with a student. The faculty is not responsible for watching or babysitting your child. Thank you for cooperating with our efforts to keep your child safe.
In an effort to teach each student without distractions, Arts in Action has installed a camera system called ARLO. All classes will be videoed live and the parents will be given access to their child's classes. You can watch via cell phone or computer anywhere you are-at the studio, in the car, at home, etc.
Arts in Action will have a bulletin board in the reception area and in each studio with up to date information posted. Please take the time to read the information posted. It is very difficult for the teacher to answer questions between classes. This takes important class time away from the students. I encourage you to call the office at 419-4HIM (4446) or email firstname.lastname@example.org regarding any questions. In addition, you will receive updates via email and remind text. Please check your email frequently, it will have important information and details to make your experience at Arts in Action more enjoyable.
Dressing rooms are available for your convenience. You must take your personal belongings home each time you come to the studio. Items may not be stored in the cubbies week to week. Please leave area clean upon departure. We are not responsible for items left unattended in the dressing room.
Lost and Found
Items are not to be left in the changing area, waiting room, or any other room at Arts in Action. All items left will be gathered each night and dated. Please check the Lost and Found box located at the receptionist desk occasionally. Any items not picked up in two weeks may be donated to a local charity or Arts in Action.
Each program and class has its own mandatory dress code including hair style. It is imperative that you adhere to the dress code. You will find the dress codes for each program listed below.
• All children Grades 3rd and under, that are not in class, must be supervised at all times.
• Children must be escorted to the bathroom.
• Only staff, faculty, and volunteers scheduled for the current day are permitted in offices and behind the receptionist desk.
• If you need assistance, please go to the receptionist area, call the office at (304) 419-4446 during office hours, or email email@example.com. Please do not interrupt class to speak with an instructor.
• Please gather your belongings and clean up before you leave the facility. Arts in Action is not responsible for items left, lost, or stolen.
• No gum is permitted at Arts in Action.
• Eating is permitted in the dressing room and waiting room only. Please clean up after you finish eating.
• No running in the halls!
• To respect classes in session, please keep as quiet as possible in the waiting room, dressing room, and halls while you are waiting for your class to begin.
You may purchase leotards and tights at the Arts in Action Boutique. You may purchase the required dance shoes from Backstage Bodywear in Charleston (304) 343-2100 or you may purchase online at Discountdance.com. Enter in the Studio Code TP72484 when ordering from DiscountDance.com to receive a discount and tell Backstage Bodywear you are with Arts in Action to receive a discount! Please make sure shoes are fitted properly (not too big or too tight). Do not get shoes too big "for room to grow". This is not safe for the dancer.
Shiny tights, hose, or ballet slipper substitutes are not permitted.
2019/2020 Dress Code
Mommy and Me: Girls-Pink leotard, pink tights, pink leather full-sole ballet shoes
Moms-Comfortable clothing, pink canvas ballet shoes.
Pre-Ballet/Pre-Tap: Pink leotard, pink tights, pink leather full sole ballet shoes, black patent leather tap shoes. Permitted to wear a pink pull on ballet skirt.
Pre-Hip Hop: Pink leotard, pink tights, tan leather slip-on split sole jazz shoes, black knee pads. Lycra dance shorts of any color are permitted.
Level I Ballet/Tap: Black leotard, pink tights, pink leather full sole ballet shoes, black patent leather tap shoes. Permitted to wear a pink pull on ballet skirt.
Level I Jazz/Hip Hop: Black leotard, pink tights, tan leather slip-on split sole jazz shoes, black knee pads. Lycra dance shorts of any color are permitted.
Level II/III Ballet/Tap: Black modest leotard, pink convertible tights, pink leather split-sole ballet shoes, black leather slip-on split sole tap shoes.
Level II/III Jazz/Hip Hop: Black modest leotard, pink or tan convertible tights, tan leather slip-on jazz shoes, black knee pads. Lycra dance shorts of any color are permitted.
Level IV Ballet: Black modest leotard, pink convertible tights, pink leather split-sole ballet shoes.
Level V & VI Ballet: Black modest leotard, pink convertible tights, pink canvas split-sole ballet shoes.
Level IV, V, & VI Jazz: Black modest leotard, pink or tan convertible tights, tan leather slip-on jazz shoes, black knee pads. Lycra dance shorts of any color are permitted.
Level IV, V, & VI Tap: Black modest leotard, pink or tan convertible tights, black leather slip-on split sole tap shoes. Lycra dance shorts of any color are permitted.
Level IV, V, & VI Lyrical: Black modest leotard, pink or tan convertible tights, tan leather half-sole lyrical shoes. Lycra dance shorts of any color are permitted.
Pointe I & II: Black modest leotard, pink convertible tights, pointe shoes (must be pre-approved by instructor and fitted at Backstage Bodywear)
Acro I & II: Black leotard, pink or tan convertible tights, no shoes. Lycra shorts in any color are permitted.
Clogging I & II: Black leotard, pink or tan tights, black clogging shoes. Lycra dance shorts of any color are permitted.
Adult Clogging: Comfortable clothing, black clogging shoes.
Adult Ballet: Pink tights, black leo, pink canvas ballet shoes OR Black capris, fitted top, pink canvas ballet shoes.
Show Choir: Tan tights, black leggings, C3 t shirt, tan character shoes (1.5")
Boys in Ballet: Black or white fitted top, black ballet shorts or black boys tights, black canvas ballet shoes.
Boys in Jazz/Hip Hop: Black or white fitted top, black gym shorts, black leather slip-on split sole jazz shoes, black knee pads.
Boys in Tap: Black or white fitted top, black gym shorts or dance pants, black leather slip-on split sole tap shoes.
Boys in Acro: Black or white fitted top, black gym shorts, no shoes.
Art: Suggested older shirt that you don't mind getting messy or wear a smock over clothing.
HAIR: Ballet Level I through VI & Pointe- hair must be secured in a bun and all hair pulled away from the face and neck. For all other classes, hair must be secured back in a ponytail and pulled away from the face and neck if not in a bun.
JEWELRY: is not permitted to be worn during dance class. Small stud earrings only.
COVER-UPS: such as ballet sweaters, leg warmers, and arm warmers are permitted if the child is cold. We ask that you remove the cover-ups once the child is warmed up.
• All monthly tuition, celebration fees and costume fees will be billed through Jack Rabbit.
• Each family has a private account in Jack Rabbit to set their personal payment preferences, view class schedules and receive important messages.
• All families are required to select from one of three payment dates for payments to be automatically processed through their preselected payment source.
• The three payment dates to choose from are the 1st, 10th and 15th of each month.
• Late fees will be assessed on the 16th of the month.
• If for some reason, automatic payment date has not been selected, then late fees will be assessed on the 16th of the month and we will initiate the payment through Jack Rabbit.
• If any payments are declined and Arts in Action, Inc. incurs any bank fees, those fees will be added to your account and you will be required to reimburse Arts in Action for those fees.
• If you desire to make a payment by check, please contact Emily Roy at firstname.lastname@example.org to make arrangements for that prior to the date that your payments will be automatically processed. If you do not contact her, automatic payments will processed as scheduled.
• If for some reason, these payment options are not acceptable, you will need to submit a written request to the Board of Directors to request any other type of payment process.
WAIVER OF LIABILITY
The following must be signed by the participant and or in the case of a minor, by their parent or legal guardian.
I, For myself, my executor, my administrator, my heirs, and assigns, do hereby release and discharge Arts in Action, Inc., including the board of directors, agents, instructors, each director of each program, volunteers, choreographers, employees, and anyone who supervises a class or event from any and all claims for personal injury, damages, demands, or actions, whatsoever in any manner arising or growing out of participation in any Arts in Action, Inc. program or activity. I attest and verify that I have full knowledge of the risks involved in the programs or events offered by Arts in Action, Inc.
I, hereby give permission for the participant to travel to and from any/all destinations involving the Arts in Action, Inc. programs. I understand that the driver, vehicle owner, Arts in Action, Inc. faculty/staff, or volunteers involved in the program are not responsible for any injury/damages which may be incurred on said trip, and in consideration for providing transportation, I agree to hold Arts in Action, Inc. faculty/staff/volunteers, as well as the drivers and owners of the vehicles transporting the participants, harmless from claims for injury or damages occurring during said trip.
I, being the parent/legal guardian of the participant, a minor, do hereby appoint Arts in Action, Inc. to act on my behalf, in the event that I cannot be contacted, to authorize or refuse necessary minor medical treatment or emergency major medical treatment while participating in an Arts in Action, Inc. program. I understand that I will be responsible for the payment of all costs incurred incident to such treatment. I will not hold Arts in Action, Inc. in any way responsible for accidents and/or injury to the child that are wholly or in part resulting from facilities, acts, or omissions not directly managed by Arts in Action, Inc or the Arts in Action, Inc. faculty/staff/volunteers.
I hereby consent that any photographs and videos in which the below named individual appears while in an Arts in Action, Inc. activity may be used by Arts in Action, Inc. and any of its ministries for promotional and informational use, and for personal souvenir or keepsake memorabilia.
I state that I am the parent or legal guardian of the minor whose name appears below. I understand that the above terms and conditions apply to the said minor and to myself. I understand that the minor will not be able to participate in any Arts in Action, Inc. activities without entering into this agreement. This document is binding on myself, the said minor and any person suing on behalf of said minor.
In addition, I have read, agree, and understand the policies, regulations, and guidelines.